The Warrant was issued by the United Grand Lodge of England on the 3rd February 1858, read at a preliminary Meeting held on the 27th April 1858, when seven Candidates were proposed. The Consecration of the Londesborough Lodge took place at High Noon, on the 9th June, 1858, in the Victoria Rooms, Bridlington Quay. After the first Master had been installed, the Working Tools, in silver, the gift of the Right Hon. Lord Londesborough, were presented to the Lodge. Six Candidates were initiated.
On the 7th December 1858, the Rt. Hon. Londesborough was unanimously elected as Wor. Master for the ensuing year and on the 5th Dec 1859, was again elected as Worshipful Master. On 4th December 1860, his son, the second Lord Londesborough, was elected as the Worshipful Master and again in 1861, and on the 7th June 1877, he was installed as the first Master of the Londesborough Lodge, No. 1681, in London. Since 1936 when the Londesborough Lodge, No. 734, conducted a Ceremony in the Freemason's Hall, London for the Londesborough Lodge, No. 1681, London, visits have been exchanged annually, and a firm connection continues between the Brethren of the two Lodges to this day.
Lodge Meetings were originally held in the Victoria Rooms, Garrison Street, until October 1875, when the Londesborough Lodge premises, in St. John's Avenue, were completed and dedicated. The original building was used for fifty years until 1925, when it was extended to it’s present form.
Another highlight in the History of the Lodge and a practical interpretation of Freemasonry was the laying of the Foundation Stone of the Bridlington Grammar School at High Noon on the 14th June 1898, by Sir Charles Legard, Bart. The Lodge was opened in the three degrees and a procession in inverse order formed (the Brethren in full regalia) headed by a Band proceeded to the site where the stone was "just and truly laid according to the Antient Rules of Architecture and the regulations of the Craft". After a most elaborate Masonic Ceremony the Brethren formed in reverse order and returned to the Masonic Hall where the Lodge was closed and the Masonic Anthem sung.
On the 6th June 1958, the Centenary Meeting of the Lodge was held at the Alexandra Hotel, Bridlington. the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master The Right Hon. The Earl of Ronaldshay and many other distinguished Freemasons being present.
At the Grand Lodge annual investiture in April 1961 the first Grand Lodge Honour received by a member of the Lodge since its foundation was conferred on the Secretary of the Londesborough Lodge. No. 734, W. Bro. W. Mason Brown, the Rank being that of Past Assistant Grand Director of Ceremonies. The Lodge currently has two officers holding Grand Rank, namely W. Bro. A.J. Ayre, Past Assistant Grand Director of Ceremonies and W. Bro. D. J. Burnett, Past Junior Grand Deacon, who is an Honorary member of the Lodge.
On Tuesday, 3rd June 2008 the Lodge marked 150 years with the dedication of a new Bible by the Provincial Chaplain, in the presence of the Provincial Grand Master, Right Worshipful Brother Richard John Anderson, his deputy, Very Worshipful Brother Jeffrey Gillyon and both Assistants, accompanied by a full team of active officers. Also in attendance was Right Worshipful Brother Iain Ross-Bryce, Past Deputy Grand Master. The ceremony was followed by a sumptuous banquet in the dining hall. The occasion was further marked at a Summer Ball, held at Marton Hall on Saturday 7th June. Click here for a full report on this auspicious occasion.
Over 600 candidates have been initiated into Londesborough Lodge during its one hundred and sixty years of existence.